Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Living the [Community] College Life

Please accept my humble apologies for any spelling errors, I haven't found spell check on blogger yet...that what I'll do next!


Just over a year ago I graduated from a local High School in North Alabama. I am now a college sophomore at Snead State Community College. I work at a local bank in the accounting department, and I live at home. My parents really didn't want me to move off and I really-REALLY- didn't want to have to completely support myself yet.
Luckily for me, thus far I have been able to stay debt free through the first year of my college studies, and I am going for year two. I plan to graduate with an associate’s degree in Business in the spring of 2013, and transfer to a university for my bachelors next fall. I've got a lot of work ahead of me!

Monday was my first day of classes for the Fall 2012 semester, and I went really well. I acutally suprised because it went so well.

Allow me to explain....

Snead was a place I was choosing to get my education from out of convenience. I wasn't really excited about college because I lived the high life in highschool. I had a job by the end of my junior year that I aquired through a teacher. Friends, Boyfriend, Car, Money. I'm set right? It put a damper on my excitement when it came to college. It made looking into college far less awesome. I ended up choosing community college both because I didn't know where I wanted to go, and because I really didn't know what I wanted to be when I 'Grew Up'. I knew I liked the aspects of graphic design, especially because I was artsy. But that was all I had to go off of, and with the economy so bad, My artsy dreams didn't seem practical. So I applied to Snead trying to buy myself some time to get my head together. I ended up getting a scholarship and that pretty much set it in stone. KELCI IS GOING TO SNEAD. Nothing else to it.
Snead has two campuses, the main is about 30 to 45 minutes away from my house depending on traffic (usually closer to 45); the other campus is close to my highschool. I had a job and school, so my main focus was getting out of class and going to work. If I made friends that was great, but otherwise I would deal. That was what I thought until I hadn't heard much from any of my friends in two to three weeks. Suddenly, I was unhappy with my life. By October of 2011, I had attemped to join Phi Beta Lamba and I broke up with my boyfriend. I tried to stay in touch better... and my job seemed less awesome. I attempeted making friends on campus but I found myself totally alone because they all already had friends. My social life came to a screetching halt...which I have since slowy improved apon.

With all this in my past, I was not expecting it to be much different this semester at Snead. To my surprise, It went way better than I expected. I was really scared in the first class because I didn't recognize anybody..AGAIN. When class got out, I really wanted to go to the Student Union Building which I reffer to as the SUB, but I managed to let my shyness talk me out of going. In the end though, I was really early for my next class and got to talk to my teacher who is also my advisor, and I spend atleast 20 minutes talking to several girls who were also early. I made my day...Literally. I felt like a complete loser before my second class, but by the end of that class, I had chatted with several people including to guys to the front and side of me.

Are my socially awkward days behind me?
You'll have to tune in tomorrow for that, because I even though I have moring classes at 9:10, I also have a night class after work today, so you won't get any details until tomorrow!

Average and Socially Awkward
Kelci

No comments:

Post a Comment